Tuesday, September 09, 2008

To All The Moderator Wannabes Out There

I know this is an odd entry but I was curiously amused this past weekend when I used the word described below in response to a zealous fellow advocating the lighting of pyres with regard to Arminians. In 16th century English descriptive a faggot, or fagot depending upon one's spelling inclinations, denoted the bundles of sticks saturated with creosote that were piled around the feet and legs of countless Christian victims of religious tyranny. The soaked bundles were set afire and the faggots fed searing flames that consumed the poor soul strapped alive to an upright post. It is a gruesome way to die, sometimes slower than expected and inducing grievous agony to its victim.

However, to my amazing interest, somebody complained about the faggots, seemed to endorse the burning of Arminians, and charged me with vulgarities thereby banning me from their discussion board. I suppose I should have been offended yet instead I am amused that a moderator of a predominantly Calvinist website could match their lack of wits with their lack of proper theology. Cheers to the poor thesaurus challenged soul whom I sure remains clueless and certainly anonymous.


fag·ot
Variant(s):
or fag·got Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English fagot, from Anglo-French
Date:
14th century
: bundle: as a: a bundle of sticks b: a bundle of pieces of wrought iron to be shaped by rolling or hammering at high temperature


3 comments:

Kevin Jackson said...

Probably one of those young internet Calvinists. ;)

I first remember running across the word in the Lord of the Rings books. I've heard too that "fag" is slang for cigarette in the UK.

Jc_Freak: said...

Are you sure he understood your use of the word? For he may have confused it with a certain offensive homonym.

travelah said...

jc ... Oh I'm pretty sure the mod didn't have a clue regarding the context with which I was using the word and assumed I wanted to kick away the homosexuals trying to burn me alive :)