Saturday, April 05, 2008


God Choosing God

During a discussion of the meaning and implications of Christ with regard to election, the Calvinist fellow with whom I was engaged made an interesting albeit uniformed statement. He declared without equivocation that "the Creator was not chosen" being much in line with a previous rhetorical question he had asked "How can God be chosen?" Now I replied with an equally rhetorical question of "How can God be both Father and Son?". In any event, we left off at that point and I am not sure if the discussion will be picked up again. The topic of election and Christ being The Elect in whom we trust goes to the heart of the dispute between Calvinists and most of the body of Christ. There should be no dispute in stating that Jesus of Nazareth, Christ, Messiah and Redeemer was chosen of God. The scriptures declare it so in no uncertain terms.

"Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles." (Mt 12:18 AV)

This is referencing the following passage from the prophets.

"Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, [in whom] my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles." (Isa 42:1 AV)

Jesus Christ is The Elect of God. That is a fundamental belief within Christianity and can only foolishly be denied. I must admit I do not understand the mind that denies such clear doctrine of the church yet it is denied in some circles if only to inappropriately buttress Calvinist election. Now, it is my hope that this is not a widely held view among Calvinists yet if Calvinists can look to the raising of Lazarus as an example of the Calvinist paradigm regarding spiritual death, then I should not be surprised when little thought is employed in other circumstances. Let's explore the evidence of Christ's election further.

"To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious, Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded." (1Pe 2:4-6 AV)

Can there be any doubt in any Christian's mind that Jesus is our Elect of God and by inference we are elect in Him?

0 comments: