Monday, July 19, 2010

Do Unto Others?

"Do unto others as you think they are doing to you". That is a strange position for one who claims Christ. Of course those words might not be directly used although among some of the more acerbic and zealous advocates they say just that. There is a pride in their actions and words that I cannot find in scripture. Instead I find a call for measured responses marked by charity, meekness, humility and a genuine concern to bring correctness with the compassion of Christ. Now, the LORD certainly knows I can dig a ditch just as effectively as the most talented ditch digger but I can also state I do not desire it. Standing in my own trench on occasion, the conscious voices concern as it should. There is a Holy presence in each of us who abide in Christ. It is not only comforting but convicting as well. 

The passage from which the twist is taken is well known … "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets." (Mt 7:12 AV).  Those who pervert the passage to pursue the twist might claim they desire the carnal responses they react to, that they are concerned only with naked truth as they perceive truth to be. Perhaps they find it convenient to practice their former devices when opportunity presents yet to even consider such to be opportunity rather than avoidance flies in the face of scriptural instruction. If one replies to a sot comment with loutish commentary and with relish, can it be said he is attempting to restore one with meekness. Quite the opposite should be expected. The loutish response will lead to the respondent's own temptation as the  scriptures tell us (Ga 6:1). The scriptural instructions to the saint who desires to live a Godly life and faithfully interact with his fellows so overwhelms the notion of replying in like kind that there is no excuse to do otherwise except sinfulness (Eph 4:1-3, Col 3:12-17, 1 Tim 6:11, Tit 3:12, Jas 3:13, 1 Pet 3:15).

2 comments:

drwayman said...

Thanks for being so accurate in proper Christian conduct. I read a bumper sticker that said, "do unto others, then split!" I don't think that was an accurate understanding of Jesus' statement.

I choose to not let how someone treats me dictate how I treat him/her. That would put that person in control of me. I choose not to be controlled by others.

A.M. Mallett said...

I believe such souls use this logic to justify their own poor behavior and think themselves not accountable. As long as their like minded fellows are agreeable to it (and indeed some teach just that) then we can expect it to continue.