Sunday, August 10, 2008

Christ’s Atonement Never Saved a Single Calvinist

You know, I was thinking a bit this morning and I have to state that the atonement of Christ at Calvary failed to save John Calvin. Yes, that's right. It didn't do the trick. I was trying to think of some other Calvinists that were saved by Christ's atonement and as hard as I tried, I couldn't think of any. James White? Pffft … Not a chance. My good loving Calvinist buddies over on CARM? Man, I'd love to say yes but the truth is not a single one of them can entice me to say they were saved by Christ's atonement. Arthur Pink? Now I wanted to say yes but alas the answer can only be no, Pink was never saved by Christ's atonement. Then I struck upon Charles H. Spurgeon and I thought surely he had to be saved by Christ's atonement. But the more I thought about it (especially when his disparaging remarks concerning Arminianism came to mind) I had to admit that even Spurgeon fell short. The more I thought about this, the clearer it became. Now, Calvinists are fond of claiming to be saved by Christ's atonement but can the Christian really believe them? Those who love Christ had better not believe them because I am convinced that not a single Calvinist was saved by Christ's atonement. What a horrible predicament that would place a Calvinist in to come to the realization that he was never saved by Christ's atonement. It might even force him to relinquish himself to the FACTS and doctrines of Christ and become an Arminian. It sure might help him especially when he realizes that, come to think of it, not a single Arminian was saved by the atonement of Christ either. It takes faith to be a child of God.

"Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth [to be] a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;" (Ro 3:24-25 AV)

Thanks to William Birch at Classical Arminianism for a wonderful article this morning.

0 comments: