Saturday, August 21, 2010

An Ecumenical Remnant Church?



With regard to my previous mention of the SDA teachings regarding the Remnant Church, the following are the troublesome teachings that I believe are cause for great concern. (taken from the SDA 28 Fundamental Beliefs)


"13. Remnant and Its Mission:
The universal church is composed of all who truly believe in Christ, but in the last days, a time of widespread apostasy, a remnant has been called out to keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus. This remnant announces the arrival of the judgment hour, proclaims salvation through Christ, and heralds the approach of His second advent. This proclamation is symbolized by the three angels of Revelation 14; it coincides with the work of judgment in heaven and results in a work of repentance and reform on earth. Every believer is called to have a personal part in this worldwide witness. (Rev. 12:17; 14:6-12; 18:1-4; 2 Cor. 5:10; Jude 3, 14; 1 Peter 1:16-19; 2 Peter 3:10-14; Rev. 21:1-14.)"
"18. The Gift of Prophecy:
One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and was manifested in the ministry of Ellen. G. White[...] (Joel 2:28, 29; Acts 2:14-21; Heb. 1:1-3; Rev. 12:17; 19:10.)"

This is seriously bothersome to me and as an orthodox Arminian Christian I cannot see any manner at all where such beliefs could be acceptable as either Arminian or within the pale of any definition of orthodoxy. Of course, others might disagree but I have spent considerable time examining several of the Word-Faith and Third Wave cults that have arrived on the scene during the 20th century and they share certain "true believer" aspects that cults, especially the personality version, exhibit. With the SDA teachings on the Remnant Church, it is understood that these latter days began under the Millerite formula in 1844. As such, the SDA or at least it's doctrinaires have claimed they are the only true Christian Church in these days. Have they refuted these teachings? Perhaps some have but it is my understanding this is still the official teaching of the church, especially as it is included in their 28 Fundamental Beliefs.

I guess this SDA thing is picking at me more than I thought. Expanding on SDA Fundamental Belief 18, this is directly and adamantly opposed to the teachings of Arminius, Wesley and every orthodox Arminian I have everconversed with. The following statement is nothing short of blatant heresy. The imaginations and writing of Ellen G. White are NOT a continuing and authoritative source of truth to provide us with comfort, guidance, instruction and correction. 

18. The Gift of Prophecy:
One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and was manifested in the ministry of Ellen. G. White . As the Lord's messenger, her writings are a continuing and authoritative source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction. They also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested. (Joel 2:2829;Acts 2:14-21Heb. 1:1-3Rev. 12:1719:10.)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your first and second post on this topic. I too am very concerned about this and am wondering what needs to be done as a corrective. Without saying too much, I think you know what I'm talking about.

A.M. Mallett said...

William,
I understand. I guess I had not realized the extent of SDA influence and acceptance. It is certainly troublesome to me but I am unsure where to begin other than perhaps to do a more scholarly examination of it's fundamental beliefs. I kinda fired off here after reading something earlier today and remembering some long forgotten discussions with a few hardcore EGW disciples.