Sunday, July 11, 2010

Presuppositional Excuses

Arminian Chronicles recently posted on presuppositionalism here. I have never been a fan of presuppositional apologetics and from what I have observed those who are tend to be anti-evangelicals. That is certainly not always the case. I am sure there are evangelicals who resort to basing their arguments on the premise that God and scripture are true and therefore they might proceed to arguing their case out of their own logic and assumed powers of persuasion. However, if we turn to the word of God, is there a case to be made for allowing the assumption of it's truth and setting it aside to allow our own intellectual prowess to have some measure of primacy? There is none that I know of. The LORD tells us  "So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it." (Isa 55:11 AV). Should we make an assumption that this truth should be set aside and we substitute our own words for those of God, whose power is evident in the very words we set aside? I cannot imagine an evangelical properly serving the kingdom of God through his own devices making the assumption that the Word of God is true and he can proceed without it. Paul clearly stated otherwise in several passages including this "For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!" (1Co 9:16 AV). What woe could possibly fall upon Paul should he have substituted the gospel of Jesus Christ in favor of what I am sure were considerable intellectual capabilities? We do not know but woe be to those as well who shuck the Gospel of Jesus Christ aside to impress the world with intellectualism so as to make a temporal name for themselves. No souls are saved by a man's intellectual pursuits.

0 comments: